BREAKING: Nigerian Military Mistakenly Bombs Refugee Camp; 100 Dead

Nigerian force mistakenly bombed a refugee camp Tuesday while on a mission against Boko Haram. Over 100 refugees have been killed including aid workers. About 200 others are injured, according to doctors and government official.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said it is a regrettable operational mistake.

The accidental bombardment happened in the northeastern town of Rann, near to Cameroon border. It is confirmed by military commander Maj. Gen. Lucky Irabor.

This is believed to be the first such mistake by Nigerian military.

Doctors Without Borders said its deployed team has counted at least 52 bodies and they are treating about 200 injured people. Many of the wounded are in critical condition.

Its director of operations, Dr. Jean-Clement Cabrol, said the incident is unacceptable and shocking as the victims are vulnerable people who have fled from extreme violence to take refuge.

Hugues Robert, head of emergency programs of Doctors Without Borders, said they hope not many people will die during the night.

The dead included six workers of the International Committee for the Red Cross. Thirteen of their staff is wounded too.

The International Committee for the Red Cross spokesman Jason Straziuso said, “They were part of a team that had brought in desperately needed food for over 25,000 displaced persons.”

Irabor added two of the Nigerian soldiers are also injured.

Doctors Without Borders spokesman Etienne I’Hermitte in Geneva urged authorities to facilitate evacuations on the basis of cross-border land and air too.

Villagers had earlier reported bombings by Boko Haram in the region.

TG Facebook Comments