More than 110 kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls are yet to be freed from the Islamic terror organization Boko Haram and lately the Nigerian government is learned has re-ignited negotiating process in exchange of detained members of the group.
Aisha Alhassan, minister of women’s affairs and social development, said the government will not relent until all the girls are set free.
The extremist group kidnapped nearly three hundred schoolgirls in April 2014 from a boarding school in the northeastern town of Chibok. Dozens escaped within hours and the rest were taken captive. As of now more than 100 are still missing.
The abduction brought world attention to the deadly rampage of the organization. In the eight-year insurgency of theirs in Nigeria millions of people have been fled from their homes.
More than eighty Chibok girls were released on Saturday against freeing of five detained Boko Haram commanders by the Nigerian government.
It is learned in anonymity that the negotiation was mediated by the International Committee of the Red Cross and the Swiss government.
In October 2016 Boko Haram released 21 Chibok girls.
The extremist group gained control in northern parts of Nigeria in 2009 and since then has killed over 15,000 people. The group aims at creating an Islamic state. In the seven-year insurgency more than two million people have been displaced.
In the second half of last year the Nigerian military carried out large-scale offensives in the Sambisa forest in the northeastern region of the country that is said to be stronghold of the group.