The risk of current Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is very high and World Health Organization (WHO) has called an Emergency Committee meeting and is scheduled for Wednesday at its Geneva headquarters. Until now around 130 people have lost their lives.
WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said the meeting will decide whether the outbreak constitutes a public health emergency of international concern and what measures need to be taken to have control on the spread of Ebola outbreak.
Even though the risk on national and regional level is very high in DRC but the outbreak posses low risk on global scenario, said the UN’s health watchdog.
The latest Ebola outbreak is 10th outbreak in the country in past four decades. On August 1 the Ebola was noticed spreading at rapid speed in North Kivu Province and on September 28 WHO found elevated the risk from “high” to “very high”.
Between October 1 and 11 39 new cases were identified and 32 of those were from Beni, the hard hit city which is suffering from continued insecurity.
WHO meanwhile has warned the insecurity affects civilians as well as frontline health workers. This suspended response for several days last month and has risked the virus to spread further.
Estimation from United Nations reveal about a million civilians is currently under threat from armed groups and in 2018 about 500,000 people were internally displaced in North Kivu, the region which borders Rwanda and Uganda.
UNICEF data reveals about 1,500 schools have been affected by the epidemic.