Tag Archives: Beijing

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta Talks Improving Ties With China

uhuru kenyatta

Kenyan President UhuruKenyatta said will be working on better bilateral relation with China on African integration. He is on a Beijing trip to discuss how the goods manufactured in the country could be expected in more quantity. Briefing to the press ahead of setting foot off Kenya he said to be focusing on deeper partnership with the Chinese market. He ...

Read More »

Ai Weiwei Vase worth $1m Is Destroyed by Protester at Miami Museum

A Florida artist is facing criminal charges after deliberately dropping a vase by dissident Chinese artist Ai Weiwei in an apparent protest. The Ai Weiwei exhibition has been shown in other parts of the US Maximo Caminero, 51, was charged with criminal mischief after breaking the $1m (£600,000) vase on Sunday in Miami. Police say Mr Caminero told them he broke the art work in protest at the Perez Art Museum Miami’s failure to exhibit work by local artists. Mr Ai said he did not support artists destroying other artists’ work. He pointed out that his own work is never shown in China. The Florida museum is holding an exhibition of the work of the Chinese artist – who was detained in 2011 by China during a crackdown on dissent – until mid-March. A security guard told police officers that Mr Caminero picked up a coloured vase that was part of a floor installation, and when told to put it down, smashed it on the floor, according to a police affidavit. The Florida artist said he would hold a news conference on Tuesday to explain the act. He told the Miami New Times that he did indeed destroy the vase in protest. “I did it for all the local artists in Miami that have never been shown in museums here,” he told the newspaper. “They have spent so many millions now on international artists.” Mr Caminero said he acted spontaneously, inspired by Mr Ai’s own art. ‘Performance protest’ The vase he picked up is one of more than a dozen painted in bright colours. They are described by Ai Weiwei as originally made during China’s Han dynasty. Behind the installation are a series of three black-and-white photos showing Mr Ai holding a vase and then letting it drop to the ground, smashing into pieces. “I saw it as a provocation by Weiwei to join him in an act of performance protest,” Mr Caminero told the New Times. But Mr Ai told the BBC from Beijing that his own destruction of vases was “a little different… The work I work on [does] not belong to a museum or other people’s property.” “I never tried to destroy a museum piece – those vases belong to me. He can drop whatever he likes to drop, but not other people’s property.” Mr Ai said he could not comment on the choices made by the museum’s curator, and such choices did not justify the destruction of somebody else’s work. And he pointed out: “I still don’t have a chance to show my work in China or Beijing. I never even think of going to a museum in Beijing to protest – if I [did], I would be punished.” Agencies

Read More »

China emerges Tanzania’s major investor

China’s total direct investment in Tanzania soared from $700 million in 2011 to $2.1 billion last year, turning the world’s second biggest economy into the biggest foreign investor. Shanghai Electric Power Co and Tanzania Electric Supply Co Ltd will invest about $400 million in Kinyerezi Power Project in Tanzania. According to Imara Equity Research, this investment is focused on railways, ports, buildings, road construction, gas pipelines and wind power farms. This investment has not only boosted economic growth of Tanzania but has also created more than 150,000 direct jobs, according to the research house. “Bilateral trade between China and Tanzania has also soared in the same period, reaching over $2.5 billion by the end of 2012,” Imara said in its latest report, citing official data. Open Data for International Development (AidData) also shows that Beijing has emerged as Tanzania’s single biggest trading partner in 2012, accounting for 15 per cent of Dar es Salaam’s trade. Lately, China and Tanzania have taken up to 19 projects worth billions of dollars. Some of these projects have been financially backed by the Chinese state-owned Exim Bank to the tune of $10 billion. One of these deals involves the construction of the multi-billion-dollar port at Bagamoyo. Set to be the largest and most modern port in Africa, the harbour is expected to be in operation by 2017. It will handle 20 times more cargo than the Dar es Salaam port, which is Tanzania’s current major import and export gateway in East Africa. China-state-run-firm, Merchants Holdings, has also won a deal to construct a 34km road between Bagamoyo and Mlandizi, linking the port to Tanzania’s internal rail network and the Tanzania-Zambia Railway. Additionally, a Chinese $1.2 billion soft loan transaction for a 523km line connecting Dar es Salaam and the Mtwara gas field was endorsed in September 2012 between Tanzanian government and the Exim Bank. Between 2001 and 2011, mineral-rich Tanzania received funding worth $ 4.6 billion from the Chinese. According to Imara, China’s state-owned Sichuan Hongda Group got into a $3bn partnership with Tanzania’s National Development Corporation (NDC) to develop a major iron-coal mine. Beijing companies also own a bigger share of Tanzania’s civil engineering industry. Private Chinese companies have also stepped up investments into Tanzania. Agencies

Read More »

Why Japan is eyeing bigger role in Africa

Addis ABABA: Japan is shaping a bigger role for itself in Africa with increased aid and investment, a pledge to share the secrets of its famed work ethic and, most of all, through making African women shine. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is making good on promises last year to hoist Africa higher on the Japanese agenda. He will end a three-nation tour of the continent on Tuesday with a strong speech at the African Union (AU) in Addis Ababa. Africa now “carries the hopes of the world” thanks to the potential of its resources and its dynamic economic growth, he said after a minute’s silence for the late former president Nelson Mandela. “I myself would like to visit Africa multiple times … to support vigorously these efforts to bring about a brilliant future for Africa.” Abe started his Africa visit last week in Côte d’Ivoire, the slowly re-emerging pivot of French-speaking Africa, and went on to booming Mozambique, where Japan is to fund the $174m (Sh15 billion )construction of a new gas-fired power plant. His final stop was Ethiopia, a rapidly developing East African country of 92-million people. The 54 members of the AU have vital votes if tensions between China and Japan degenerate. Plans were announced for direct flights between Addis Ababa and Tokyo. Ethiopia and Mozambique are among China’s closest economic allies on the continent. Over the past decade China has leapfrogged over its Asian neighbour as a global economic force as well as Africa’s main trade partner. Chinese annual trade with Africa has topped $200 billion (Sh1.7 trillion) , outstripping Japan about eightfold. “There is no way that Japan can catch up,” said trade expert Peter Draper, a senior research fellow at the South African Institute of International Affairs. “They are more about keeping up some old relationships in Africa and looking for some new ones.” Japan created a vehicle for its relations with Africa in 1993 called Tokyo International Conference on African Development (Ticad). At the last year’s Ticad 5, Abe’s government pledged aid of $32 billion (Sh2.8 trillion) over the next five years. On Tuesday, Abe pledged $320m (Sh27.8 trillion) in assistance for African conflict areas and natural disasters. But his intriguing promise was to share the Kaizen philosophy for making workplaces happy and productive. Most important of all, he said, was that Japan believed African women were the key to its success. “When African women shine, Africa will most certainly be truly radiant,” he said. Meanwhile, China China launched a scathing diplomatic attack against Japan on Wednesday, warning African nations of an impending “resurrection of Japanese militarism” and branding Prime Minister Shinzo Abe a “troublemaker”. In a press conference held the day after Abe wrapped up a landmark African tour aimed at boosting Japan’s presence in the continent, China’s ambassador to the African Union accused him of trying to undermine Beijing’s own diplomatic reach. “Abe has worked hard to portray China as a threat, aiming to sow discord, raising regional tensions and so creating a convenient excuse for the resurrection of Japanese militarism,” the ambassador said. He alleged that the conservative Japanese leader’s visit to Africa was part of what he described as a “China containment policy.” —Agencies

Read More »

China ‘overtakes’ US as world’s largest goods trader

Beijing – China has claimed that it is ‘very likely’ that it overtook the US as the world’s top trading nation, a title the US has held for decades. According to the latest data, China’s total trade grew at an annual rate of 7.6 per cent to $4.16 trillion last year. The US is yet to release its full-year figures, but its trade for the first 11 months of 2013 totalled $3.5 trillion. China became the world’s biggest goods exporter in 2009. Its imports have also risen amid an expansion in its economy. “It is very likely that China has overtaken the US to become the world’s largest trading country,” said Zheng Yuesheng, a spokesman for China’s customs administration. The US is scheduled to release its full-year figures next month. Agencies

Read More »

Nadal to test Djokovic at Melbourne Park

World No 1 Rafael Nadal will attempt to dethrone Novak Djokovic and put a new wave of celebrity coaches to the test when he returns to the Australian Open next week. Rafael Nadal missed last year’s edition during a seven-month injury break with knee trouble. Net photo Nadal missed last year’s edition during a seven-month injury break with knee trouble before making a stunning comeback to win 10 titles in 2013, including the French Open and US Open. Now the rampant Spaniard will take aim at Djokovic’s three-year reign at Melbourne Park, the longest of the Open era, and try to avenge his epic, six-hour loss to the Serb in the 2012 final. He also arrives as the only “Big Four” player without a star coach, after Djokovic and Roger Federer, aping Andy Murray’s move in hiring Ivan Lendl, hooked up with Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg respectively. However, with Murray returning from injury and Federer now 32, the door could be open for a group of other contenders, led by Juan Martin del Potro and David Ferrer. Nadal, still coached by his uncle, Toni Nadal, underwent a new but undisclosed form of treatment on his injury-prone knees in the off-season, and he appears confident he can stay healthy in 2014. “I feel that this (treatment) really makes me feel more comfortable,” he said in Doha, where he started his season by winning the Qatar Open.  “Because I don’t have pain like I had, no?” Nadal’s 2012 Melbourne appearance ended in the small hours and defeat to Djokovic following a Slam-record five-hour, 53-minute final, after which the Spaniard told the crowd: “Good morning!” In Nadal’s absence last year, Djokovic showed similar powers of endurance when he ground down Murray in a physical four-setter to clinch his third straight Melbourne title. It turned out to be the high point of Djokovic’s year and after losing the Wimbledon and US Open finals, he ceded the top ranking to Nadal at the China Open in September. However, he sent out a message by beating Nadal soundly in the Beijing final, ending the year with a four-title run culminating in another big win over the Spaniard to take the World Tour Finals in London. Despite this strong finish, Djokovic sprang a surprise by hiring Becker, the German great with little experience of coaching, in a move thought to be aimed at adding more adventure to his game. He is not the only one, with 17-time Grand Slam champion Federer acquiring the services of childhood hero Edberg as he seeks to extend his stay at the top of men’s tennis. Federer, also sporting a new, bigger racquet this year, kicked off the new season by reaching the Brisbane final, only to be shocked by fellow 30-something Lleyton Hewitt. Agencies

Read More »

Fatal case of H5N1 bird flu in Alberta is first in North America

Canadian health officials have confirmed the first known fatal case of the H5N1 avian influenza strain in North America. Health Minister Rona Ambrose said the deceased was a resident of Alberta who had recently travelled to Beijing. Calling the death an “isolated case”, Ms Ambrose said the risk to the general population was low. The province of Alberta has seen 10 deaths this season from H1N1, often called swine flu. Risk of getting H5N1 low The officials added that the patient was otherwise healthy. There have been fewer than than 650 cases of bird flu in 15 countries over the last decade, primarily among people who have spent time around infected birds, they said. Officials emphasized that this is not a disease transmitted between humans. Officials created confusion by referring to the patient as “him” and “her” in order to avoid identifying anyone. Officials said that they would not identify the sex, age or occupation of the patient. They also refused to say whether the infected passenger was an Edmonton resident, although the final leg of the flight ended there. Ambrose, who phoned into a news conference in Ottawa, said Canadian officials are working with Chinese authorities on the case. “The risk of getting H5N1 is very low.

Read More »